Sorry for the delay in getting out timely updates on the course construction. Fortunately, it's simply been procrastination on my part, and NOT lack of good NDG news to report that is the reason for the delay!
We've actually accomplished a great deal this fall installing the course and I want to say thank you to all the great NDG volunteers who have come out to help clear and mow, and install the teepads and baskets (and the teepad posts and frames). I'm happy to report that we have 8 holes fully installed (except for the installation of the rubber on the short teepads) and open for play!
To sum up what we have done so far this year...
- finished up 2.5 years of permitting paperwork and began construction in April
- cleared, mowed, and opened all 8 north side holes (see current course map)
- installed the long teepads and the baskets on all the north side holes
- installed the teepad posts & frames at the long & short teepads on the north side holes (the metal map inserts should be arriving within a month or so)
- installed an information board and bicycle rack at the parking lot
- spoke at the New School, distributed discs to all the students there, and subsequently played a few rounds with the New School kids (they are amazing!)
The NDG volunteer crew will continue work on the south side of the course throughout the winter, though I will be off-island for the next few months. Our goal is to have the final 10 holes of the course fully installed and open for play by August 2012. At the rate we're moving now, I believe we can accomplish that. With that said, we're always in need of volunteers to help out with the clearing, so come on out if you can! Contact our volunteer coordinator, Brett Watts, at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on dates and times.
This upcoming year, we are also planning on visiting and working with other schools and youth groups on the island to promote disc golf as a healthy, fun, inexpensive, family-friendly recreational alternative...as with the New School, this will include disc giveaways to all the children!
Once, again, a big thank you to all the NDG volunteers this year and happy holidays to everyone! We'll return with normal newsletter updates in the spring, but until then check out (and join!) our Facebook page for Brett's course construction updates throughout the winter.